From:
Pamela Leming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 19:22:42 -0400
Mary,

I did check all the connections.  And the new speakers worked when I first
connected them.  After having them working for about 20 minutes, they just
stopped.  That's when I went back to the old speakers, to make sure it wasn't
the sound card that was bad.  Those old ones worked.  I kept alternating
between old and new.  When I plugged in the old ones, they always worked.
I finally just turned off my computer and let it rest for the night.  When I
turned it back on today, with the NEW speakers connected, they WORK!  I've had
them on now for about 15 minutes.  We'll see how long it lasts!

My conclusion throughout this whole thing was that it wasn't the speakers that
were at fault, nor the sound card, but possibly something in my overall system
that was causing sound not to make it to the speakers after a prolonged period
of time...say more than 30-40 minutes.  It seems to be worse when I try to use
a voice chat program like Firetalk or BuddyPhone or one of those.  The last
problem occured when I was playing a voice mail message someone had sent me
through ICQ.  I played the file 6 or 7 times over and over again and all of a
sudden the sound just stopped coming out, even though ICQ showed it was still
playing the file.

After reading some posts here about systems getting hot and not working properly,
I thought maybe someone had the same problem with sound cards and/or sound not
working properly when the system was on for a period of time.

This never happened when I still used my Aztec sound device that came with the
system.  I played games for hours with plenty of sound and no problems.  Could
it be that my system is not powerful enough to handle the new sound card's
capabilities?  Although, why the OLD cheap speakers would work is still a
mystery.

Pam

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html