From:
Timchenko Maxim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 13:18:27 +0200
Jun,

  Did you present one of your clients with the choice of making the case
looking better (less cables) vs. increasing the system performance?

  Of course no one wants to use one more cable (worth $0.6 in packs of
100, I believe) but I got one more when I bought my PC by simply asking
for it, as well as a CD Audio cable (since I didn't order my sound card
from them they assumed they can keep the cable).

  However, your POV is valid for a simple reason : customers who are aware
of the issue will probably specifically ask for drives to be placed on
different channels, and many of those who don't will never open their case
anyway and all work will be done by technicians, so they don't care.
  (same thing applies for cheap fans and winmodems, too).

<> Max Timchenko [MaxVT]
<>

// POV - point of view

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, QJ wrote:

> Dale wrote:
>
> > Our company sells about 1000 computers a month and do you
> > think the manufacturers would ship them with the CD-rom on the
> > secondary and the HD on the Primary controller if they could get
> > away with both on the same ? It would save one whole ribbon
> > cable. (Given how cheap the manufacturers are this is a big deal to
> > them. I mean look at Winmodems and the stupid cheap fans they
> > have forced on us over the years, all in the name of saving a few
> > pennies).
>
> Since I build computers too, there may be another reason why put harddisk and CD
> on same cable: the less cable you use, the clear and better on how is the looking
> inside the case. A clear looking inside sometime does help to make customers'
> mind.
>
> Jun Qian

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org