From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 10:13:02 -0400
I bought a used hard drive real cheap on EBay once (for a special purpose)
and it CAME with a boot sector virus...  It was a virus that would corrupt files
at random, and may be why the original owners got rid of it... -- With-out knowing
about the virus, just the way the drive was "flaky"...  I got it from a wholesale guy...
If yours was in service for a while, that may or may not be part of the problem.
(Could you have a virus that activated later???)

The fact that NAV is disabled is very troubling...
The only time I see that is when there is a virus on other peoples computers.
On my own computer, the only time I see that is when a Norton install has gone
VERY wrong during a version upgrade of NSW...
They say to MANUALLY un-install when going from NSW2002PRO to
NSW2003PRO, (and it DID automatically) but something happened...

I think the free space allocation thing might be related to another issue
you may have -- long filename "remnants" (or something) where the file
has been deleted...  This comes from using older programs on a computer
that does not handle removing long-filename files correctly...
I had a brand new drive replaced once over that, and the new one did the
same exact thing... (In WinME, with a mix of older software.)

                                                   Rick Glazier

From: "Michele" <[log in to unmask]>
Now, if I then try to load anything else, such as Norton utilities, antivirus,
etc, the computer will only start in safe mode, until I take them out of the start up.

I've tried just about everything. It was fine up until a couple of weeks ago,
but for some reason, although it was starting up, my antivirus was disabled
everytime on start up even though I had constantly set it to automatic.
(The software is fine, it's the same as I have used on all of my other computers)
I'm not sure what's wrong with it.

Any ideas? It was a second hand hdd, so I'm wondering if it's on it's last legs here.
I've had it scanning thoroughly now for over 24hrs, and it's still the same. No bad sectors are being reported.
Every now and again, I get a message that the free space is being reported incorrectly.
I have a feeling that the hard drive needs replacing, but I am hoping that I may be able to keep it going for a while.(It's a money
thing)

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml