From:
Jeff McConnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:05:19 -0600
I recently had a problem like this.  The owner of our company had a HP color
inkjet at home, and wanted to add a HP multi-function laser printer (with
fax, copier, scanner) to his computer.

I ordered a standard mechanical switchbox (Belkin brand) with the printer
and when it arrived noticed a note on the back saying "Not for use with HP
printers."  It suggested their automatic switch like you have mentioned, but
that switch will not work either because of the extra scanner/fax/etc
features of this printer (it sounds like your printer is similar) - the way
I understand it the driver needs constant communication with the printer to
watch for incoming faxes, inserted paper, etc.  If you do use the automatic
switch, the printer acts like a standard printer.

I ended up picking up a parallel-printer port ISA card for $10 (the auto
switch was $40).  It worked like a champ.  It took a little bit of
configuring, which may be a problem if you don't have any experience with
IRQs and the like, but it was the most hassle-free solution once it was set
up.  I'd say it would be worth paying your local computer store to install
one for you if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself.  The cost
would probably be close to the cost for the automatic switch, and the
results would be much better.

Now he just picks the printer he wants to print from the print dialog box,
and clicks print.  And everything works the way it is supposed to.  You
can't get much better than that.

Jeff McConnell