From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 22:03:41 -0400
At 02:39 PM 07/12/2000 Pete Smith wrote:
>I had to format the hard drive in my PC.
>The drive consisted of ...one ...FAT32 the other ...FAT16.
>
>When I try to install Windows 95 from my set of floppy discs,
>the install goes so far and then I get a message saying install
>cannot proceed and I have no option but to quit. From things I
>have read it would seem that this may be to do with the version
>of Windows 95 that I have. Is there anyway round this ( I have
>a Windows 98 Upgrade CD if that's of any relevance)

Pete:

Perhaps, your floppy-based version of Windows 95 is the original version,
for end-users, not the OEM version which contains FAT32 support. In that
case, the FAT32 partition of your hard drive probably is causing the
install problem. Or perhaps you are getting a floppy read error that
crashes the installation.

But, regardless.... perform the following:

1.  Back up any data you want to keep, including device drivers for all
your installed hardware (including CDROM drive).

2.  Make yourself a Startup (bootable) Disk with the appropriate DISK
utilities (FDISK, FORMAT, SCANDISK, EDIT, MSCDEX.EXE, CDROM driver(s),
etc.) from the version of Windows you wish to install. Test boot the disk
to make sure it works. All native operating system ("OS") files must be
from the same OS version.

3.  Run WIPE.COM to zero out all sectors on your boot drive. This will
eliminate any artifacts (MBRs, FATs, etc.) from other (incorrect) versions
of Windows. You can get this utility from IBM at:

        http://www.storage.ibm.com/techsup/hddtech/welcome.htm

4.  Boot to the Windows Startup disk and run FDISK. If you have FAT32 OS
support, you will get the "Enable Large Disk Support? Y/N" generic message,
at which point you will select "Y" for FAT32 and "N" for FAT16. Create the
desired-size primary DOS partition, set it active, exit FDISK gracefully.

5.  Boot to the Windows Startup disk and format the C: drive and transfer
system files, i.e.:   FORMAT  C:  /S

6.  Then, install Windows:

        (A)     If you will be installing Windows 95 from the floppies:  Create a
directory called C:\WIN95 and copy all the files from all the installation
floppies to this directory.  This will give you a chance to correct floppy
disk errors during the copy process, and also will speed up installation
and allow Windows access to drivers and other files from the hard drive on
subsequent occasions. Create a C:\CONFIG.SYS file containing the following
statement:

                DEVICE=C:\WIN95\HIMEM.SYS

then re-boot the computer, change to the C:\WIN95, then run:  SETUP
If this is an upgrade version of Windows, it will prompt you later to
insert a qualifying Windows product.....

        (B)     If you are using the Windows 98 Upgrade CD: Create a directory called
C:\WIN98 and copy into this directory all the files from the \Win98
subdirectory of the Windows 98 CDROM.  This will speed up installation and
give Windows access to Windows drivers and other files from the hard drive,
instead of asking for the CDROM again. Then, create a C:\CONFIG.SYS file
containing the following statements:

                DEVICE=C:\WIN98\HIMEM.SYS
                DEVICE=C:\WIN98\CDROM.SYS  /D:MSCD001

and create a C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT file with the following statement:

                C:\WIN98\MSCDEX.EXE  /D:MSCD001

then copy HIMEM.SYS, MSCDEX.EXE and CDROM.SYS (where "CDROM.SYS" is the
name of your CDROM device driver) to the C:\WIN98 directory. Reboot and
change to the C:\WIN98, then run:  SETUP
Windows will prompt you later to insert a qualifying Windows product......

The keys to the above process is to zero out all sectors of the drive,
partition and format the drive with the Windows version you plan to
install, and copy the CAB ("Cabinet") and other installation files to a
directory on your hard drive. HTH. Good luck.

Regards,

John Chin
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.digitalconcern.com/