From:
bob raikes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 00:14:09 -0000
I have a Dell Dimension XPSH266 running w95 osr2b, factory installation. The machine has USB ports but wasn't set up to use them.
I bought a UMAX Asta 1220U scanner and tried to get the port to work with Dell's instructions, but failed.
UMAX says that a functioning USB port will have an entry in Device Manager called Universal Serial Bus Controller, and it shoud contain 2 items: "Standard PCI to USB Universal Host Controller" and "USB Root Hub."
I was able to get the bus controller entry and the root  hub entry by installing usbsupp.exe from my W95 cd-rom, as instructed by Dell. But the "Standard PCI to USB Universal Host Controller" entry eludes me.
The scanner fails its startup test with an error message of 000000h.
A Dell tech responded this way to a help request:

Go to http://support.dell.com/filelib and download piix4e.exe

This file when run will create a floppy disk with the drivers for
these devices (You may already have the Intel Support Drivers
diskette).  After installing this file you should install usbsupp.exe
and then install piix4e again.

I did as advised, both without the repeat of the piix4e  and with, and reinstalled the scanner software, doing so several times to try different sequences.
I followed UMAX's instructions about attaching the power cord before the USB cable, and tried attaching them before system power up and after.
I still don't get the "Standard PCI to USB Universal Host Controller" entry under the Universal Serial Bus Controller entry in device manager. And the scanner still fails its startup test the same way.
If I can't get this working in a day or two I'll have to get it back to the store before my no-hassle warranty expires and get a parallel port scanner and enter that fun land of parallel port conflicts.
 I can't expect much help from UMAX since I am unable to get my machine set up properly.
Can anybody save me from the grief I'm gonna get from my Mac-operating colleagues if I can't get this to work?
Thanks
Bob Raikes

Free web-based email, anytime, anywhere!
ZDNet Mail - http://www.zdnetmail.com