From:
Kevin Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:35:35 -0800
Win98 is soon to be (if not already) obsolete, and its sale is long ago
discontinued.  Assuming that his machine meets the hardware
requirements, a better choice would probably be Windows XP (Home
Edition).  As I recall, XP has better backwards compatibility than ME
does, although 5+ year old software is more the exception than the rule..

If his PC came with Win98, then his hardware may barely work with much
recent software.
In which case, a new PC running Win XP can be had for just a few hundred
bucks nowadays, and will provide far better performance and reliability.

Kevin

David Gillett wrote:

>  My dad has a machine which currently has Windows ME installed on it.  He's
>not happy with it, and misses some things (unspecified) that worked in 98SE
>but don't seem to in ME.
>
>  He's asking me for tips on how to successfully migrate the machine back to
>98SE.  I've never had ME, so I've never needed to do that.  Does anyone here
>have experience with this, that they could share?
>
>David Gillett
>
>               The NOSPIN Group Promotions is now offering
>              Mandrake Linux or Red Hat Linux CD sets along
>             with the OpenOffice CD...  at a great price!!!
>             http://freepctech.com/goodies/promotions.shtml

           The NOSPIN Group is now accepting donations to help
          defer the costs of providing PCBUILD and our website.
           Visit http://freepctech.com to donate using PAYPAL