From:
Ron Jobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:24:41 -0600
Jose,
Russ has answered many questions, so I won't duplicate that.  Assuming that
you are logging onto a domain that manages its own DNS, I've seen a great
improvement in speed if you change the workstation's TCP/IP config to "Use
the following DNS server addresses:" and insert the IP address of your DNS
server.

Ron Jobe

On 3/6/06, Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Jose,
>
> Some answers below..
>
> At 10:58 AM 3/4/2006, Jose Louies wrote:
> >Hi  all tech GURUS !
> >
> >I am new to the group and I have a problem to be solved
> >
> >I manage a small net work for a Non-Profit Wildlife Conservation
> >organization in India.
> >
> >The over all pic about the net work
> >

> >Computers
> >10 PCs  ( All athlon XP/Sempron/ XP 64 on Asus Boards) XP  prof  with SP2
> >as OS
> >3 Note books  (  2 Acer  intel, 1 Amd Turion )
> >+ I file server on win 2000 server  ( Athlon XP 64  bit 2400  512  RAM,
> 80
> >GB X  4 HDDs  )
> >
> >Net working
> >DSL  on Dlink ADSL  Modem -502T  which is connected to  D link
> Switch  DES
> >10 16 D
> >WRT 54 G wireless router  ( for the lap tops)
> >

> >My Problems
> >
> >The Clients take almost a minute or even more when they try to login in
> >the server.  " Applying local settings.............. " and  it takes a
> lot
> >of time.
>
> Are they setup so the users are logging into a domain? If so, and they
> have
> a roaming profile, then this delay seems typical, unfortunately. It is
> because all the users settings (basically everything under "c:\documents
> and settings\user") are being copied from the server to the local disk. If
> the users keep a lot of stuff (documents, pictures, temporary internet
> files, mail folders, etc), then it simply takes time to copy it over. This
> might be improved somewhat by offering switched gigabit networking between
> the client systems and the server. The other solution is to have users
> ---snip---

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml