From:
Fran Bott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 03:33:49 -0500
Dave,

I have had my woes with USB in the past. Someone else mentioned that some
devices must run off a direct port from the computer which is true.
 If a device has it's own power source - such as  printer or scanner -  they
should run from the hub just fine. If they are powered by the hub's power,
it could get a bit trickier.. The optical mouse should be able to operate on
any of the hub's ports, but the handspring cradle will need to either be
directly connected to the computer's USB port or if this is not possible,
connect it to the port on the Hub closest to the connector that goes to the
computer. Put USB items with their own power source in the port furthest
away from where it connects to the computer.

Also, (I learned this the hard way) USB tends to create a lot of what I call
Ghost Ports. If you have done a lot of connecting and disconnecting,
chances are you will have them.You WILL NOT see them in Device Manager if
you are running your computer in normal mode. Disconnect EVERTHING USB.
Reboot the computer into  SAFE mode. Now go into the device manager and look
at what is there for USB. My guess is there are multiple entries for the
same item. Remove EVERTHING that is USB, including the hub, root ports,
everything. When you are done, it should look as though you do not have
anything USB connected to the computer.
Now reboot into normal mode. Windows should find your root  USB connection.
After the computer is finished installing this and finished the boot
process, now you can add your USB items one by one. You should have 2 ports
coming of your computer directly (most computers do). run your PDA device
from one of the ports directly off the computer. Use the other for the hub.
Run your optical mouse from the hub in the port nearest the computer
connection. Since your scanner probably has it's own power supply, it can be
run off the hub in any of the ports.

Hope this helps,

Fran