From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 01:17:30 -0400
Wave files are just that... files.  They are separate, individual, discreet
sound files on the hard drive.  Some are included with Windows and they are
automatically copied to the hard drive and configured within Windows when it
is installed.  Others sounds are added to the system when you install
additional software.  They all "live" in the C:\WINDOWS\MEDIA folder and
have WAV as the file extension.

You can even create your own WAV files using a microphone and the windows
recorder program.  And then assign them to different events.  I grew up with
the 3 Stooges, so I found a web site with sound bites from their movies and
I downloaded and assigned them to various windows events.  So.... on my PC
instead of the various "clunks" and "clanks" kind of sounds that are heard
when it doesn't  like what I do, Curly's voice says "I'm tryin' to think,
but nuthin' happens"  or Moe says "HEY, what's the big idea?" or Larry says
"geHA-AH-ah!" (you'll only understand that one if you watched the stooges
<grin>)

Anyway, the point is, that sound files are automatically added into your
system as you install software, but none of them are actually "built-in" and
you can change which sound plays when.  They are all individual files and
there is no differentiation between them  (except in the internal
structure - as I explained in an earlier post today)

Native and non-native are not actual, true, "terms" but (I think) were
someone's attempt to describe a perceived difference between the sound files
that worked and the ones that didn't.  Only the person who originally used
the words can say for sure what he or she meant.   As I said in an earlier
post, using the name (or names)  of the suspect file(s) is less confusing
than trying to create a description for a "kind" of file.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====