From:
Michael Eisenstadt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 11:10:25 -0600
I am thinking of building a new Pentium box with 128Mb
RAM for a new project which requires manipulating 25Mb
photo images in Photoshop, an obvious impossibility
with my present 486/66 + 20Mb RAM box.

OTOH, my present m/b supports 128Mb RAM and I was
thinking of adding one 16Mb RAM module to the present
box as a cheap experiment to see what kind of increased
functionality I get.  If the functionality scales up
and if I can locate used modules, this might be an
economical alternative to a new box for my project.

However, I need a little help in deciphering the m/b's
user's manual.

The m/b has 4 sockets denominated Bank 0 which take
30-pin fast-page mode SIMM modules and 2 sockets which
take 72-pin fast-page SIMM modules.  One of the 72-pin
slots is denominated Bank 0 & Bank 1, the second Bank 2
& Bank 3.  The manual says each 72-pin socket supports
double bank memory and that the 4 30-pin sockets share
Bank 0 memory location with (half of?) the adjoining
72-pin socket and that only one pin type will be recognized
so "please don't plug in two types of SIMMs on Bank 0
simultaneously."

What is "double bank memory"?  The 16M module in the
Bank 2 & Bank 3 socket fills the socket entirely (there
are 4 1M modules in the 30-pin sockets and the Bank 0
& Bank 2 72-pin socket is empty).

Finally, there is the memory configuration table in the
manual for 128M total RAM but I can't figure out how it
is supposed to add up to 128M RAM:

  Bank 0     Bank 1      Bank 2       Bank 3     Total

 16M x 9      None      16M x 36       None      128MB

How can this add up to 128: the 4 16Mb modules in the 30-pin
sockets I see, but how do the other 4 modules go into 2
72-pin sockets?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael Eisenstadt

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html