From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 16:58:21 -0700
At 12:45 PM 1/28/99 , Paul Villano wrote:
>Okay, it seems that my motherboard and graphics card have both gone to
>glory.  SIGH.  Whimper.  Moan.  Is there any way to salvage the
>information that was on there?  Can I remove the "hard drive" (remember,
>it's a Gateway DX2) and somehow reinstall it onto another machine?

Yes.

Just open the computer, unattach the cables and remove the screws.  The
hard drive should come right out.

You can now just slide it into another computer exactly as it sat in your
current computer.

One issue will be determination of position of the drive as either a slave
or master drive in the new system.  If it is an existing computer, the old
drive will probably be a slave on the same IDE channel.  You will need
to change the jumpers pin settings on the old drive so that system will
recognize it as a slave.  (Find the Brand and model number on the drive
and look on the manufacturer's web site or post it here.  We can provide
you with the jumper settings).

Be sure the new system has the existing hard drive configured as a Master
drive, (some drives configured as single drives use the same settings for
Masters drives and you will not need to change anything).  Use the same
procedure as above.

Then, when you boot the system enter the Bios setup, change the CMOS
settings to reflect the new drive, (this can usually be done with the auto
detect utility in the CMOS).    Once both drives are configured as Master
and slave, detected in the Bios, you should be able to easily use the
old drive in a new system.

    Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group