From:
Len Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 09:28:39 +0100
On  5 Sep 98 at 23:10, Kevin Michael Guest wrote:
> I'm writing a Database using MS Access for the storage and
> retrieval of pallets in a warehouse and need to test it in a
> multi-user enviroment.
> I have a desktop and access to a laptop both of which have MS
> Access installed, however I need to link them together by means of
> a simple network.

To add to David G's excellent advice
1) I see you are in an industrial environment.
If you consider ever having more than two stations on your network,
it will be more robust if wired as a star using UTP cable and a hub.
(For the present two you can use a "crossover" UTP cable and no hub
up to 100 metres. Or use a standard cable and a short crossover link
and coupler to save re-making the long cable later.)
The advantage of the star is that if someone breaks a cable
only the station on that cable is affected, whereas if a coax cable
(which is a bus) is broken, the whole network usually dies - and then
you have a wonderful job searching the whole length for the fault.

2) Although the theoretical bandwith of Ethernet is 10Mbits/sec,
you can only get 60-70% of that with multiple users, because the
CSMA/CD protocol uses the rest in access arbitration.
This should still be plenty for you, though.

Len Warner <[log in to unmask]> http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~len/ ICQ:10120933

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**