Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 23:50:26 -0600
Rick Thornton wrote:

>HI,
>    Our Seniors computing club (www.biscc.com if your interested in grey computing power) operates a network of 7 pcs (2x P4 2.6ghx, 5XCeleron 2.6) and 1 MAC.  The pcs all run Winxp home. (The MAC just happily ignores it all and does everything asked of it.)  The network operates through a 12 port Switch and the internet connection is through a NB1300 ethernet modem.  The modem assigns the IP addresses (I am pretty sure). We just recently upgraded 4 old Celeron 733s to the 2.6 ghz.  All has gone well except for one particular Celeron 2.6.  It will not connect to the network or the internet. All I can get is that there is limited or no internet connectivity and it cannot contact the DHCP server.  What is strange is that if I take it to the shop where we bought it or to my home and set it up it immediately finds the network and the internet!  I have tried putting in a static IP but that doesn't seem to do anything. Also when I take it off the club net and replace the old machine the problem goes away!    None of us are well versed in networking and the staff at the computer shop seem stumped by the problem. Is this machine haunted? Any advice would be gratefully received.
>
>Thanks
>Rick Thornton
>
>                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
>                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
>                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>

If the computer works at the place where you bought it from and an older
computer works in the current network, then it might be something
related to the interconnection. Since this is a wired system, can you
try a different cable (read that as a plug) into your computer's NIC?
This is a possibility that the socket on the nic card and the plug on
the end of the cable may be making a loose connection preventing the
computer from working correcting.

Just one other thought while approaching this logically. While it might
be something in the computer, it sounds as if when you take it back to
the seller or your home, it comes right up recognizing the network -
which shows that it is picking up the IP from the system. Question #1:
the NB1300 is a DSL modem. It requires PPPoE LLC for the WAN type ( see
http://www.bigblue.net.au/business/tech/adslsupp/confignb1300/nb1300.php
). Are you using DSL at your home? Is the seller using DSL? If you and
the seller have your systems set for DHCP and the computer works, then
it most likely will not work on your Senior Citizens network, which is
set for PPPoE. You may have to configure your computer nic and software.

Jean Bourvic

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com