From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:58:53 -0500
Hi,

I don't think that is true.  I have seen many systems where hitting the
main power button works like using the windows shut down sequence.
Obviously on an ATX chassis and not an AT one.

I have seen some reloads of systems that did not work well at first, but
after everything was loaded and you think you have it all right, you run
the detect new hardware one more time and it finds 1-3 things (plug &
play BIOS found, APCI found, etc.) and after you highlight one of them
and say OK, it and the system does it's thing correctly and it all works
well again.

Thanks and have a Great Day!

Joe Lore

=============
The power button has never been able to do a proper shutdown in any Win
OS I have ever seen. You always have to use the start/shutdown sequence.
==============

>Hello All,
>I have an older Gateway Solo 9300 notebook running Win 98 SE. It became

>cluttered and unstable and I formatted and reloaded Win 98 se. I used
>the restore cd to install all the original drivers. My problem is not
>the usual shutdown problem. Its the function of the power off button.
>It used to invoke a proper Windows shutdown. Now I momentarily hit the
>button and its lights out, with no proper shutdown. Previously I had to

>hold the button for 5 seconds for that type of 'emergency' shutdown.
>Start - Shutdown works fine and automatically kills power. I'd like to
>get the button working again. Its not a big deal, but nobody even
>believes me that the power button functioned this way. If I re-define
>the power button in cmos to do a suspend, that works and puts the
>system to sleep when I hit the button. I contacted Gateway and they
>have no knowledge of the power button doing a proper shutdown. They say

>I must use start-shutdown. I guess I must have been dreaming for the
>past 4 years. I thought it was part of APM or ACPI or something like
>that. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. -Nick

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml