From:
Paul Hachmeyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2008 10:58:34 -0400
Making progress - I didn't have a mb diagram when I started, and had
reset the cmos, not the bios via jumper.  Once I reset the bios, the PCI
video is the default and I can see again!  win xp home sp2 still freezes
when trying to start up after restore, I forgot to plug in a wired
keyboard and mouse, so I'll try that tonight and keep my fingers crossed..

Richard Glazier wrote:

> Painted into a corner?
> The following can't hurt.
> (Lets just hope the video default is to look to the PCI first and then
> "fallback"
> to the onboard video.)
>
>                               Rick Glazier
>
> From the HP site:
> Step 4: Resetting and updating the BIOS
> In case an item was changed in the BIOS, such as the primary display
> device setting, use the following steps to reset the BIOS back to its
> default configuration:
> Turn on the computer and press the keyboard key that enters the BIOS
> Setup screen key when the keyboard light comes on. The key to enter
> the BIOS should be one of the following:
> HP and Compaq desktop computers that came with Windows Vista, press
> F10 . For HP Pavilions desktop computers that came with Windows XP or
> previous versions of Windows, press F1 . Compaq Presario desktop
> computers built after 2002, press F1 . Compaq Presario desktop
> computers built prior to 2002, press F10 . Wait 5 seconds.
> Press the F5 key to restore the default settings of the BIOS. Press
> Enter to accept the change and wait five seconds. Press the F10 and
> then the Enter key to save the changes and exit from the BIOS. The
> monitor should now display the first screens received from the
> computer (the logo screens). End of quote.
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Hachmeyer" <
>
>> Now I went down a worse path - I had the brainstorm to switch the
>> video from pci back to onboard in the bios, and try the process again.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml