From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 07:50:51 -0800
I cut a lot out of the original post for brevity.

The "command" is a 16 bit command prompt.  Not true DOS, but more compatible
with older programs.  The "cmd" is a 32 bit command prompt.  Not as
compatible, but more options (i.e. commands, functions, etc.) and it
directly supports long file names, spaces in folder and file names, and so
on.  In the product I support one of our troubleshooting methods requires
running NT services in debug.  To do this we use a command prompt, and the
32 bit version is always preferred.  There are actually a lot of other
advantages to the 32 bit version, but these are the highlights.  It's my
understanding that the 16 bit version is only kept around for compatility.

Kyle Elmblade

>From: Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
>Mark is correct and has a good explanation and gave some options. The only
>thing I want to add is that there are two ways to start a command window
>under XP (or Win2k as well). One is start/run/command, and the other is
>start/run/cmd. The 'command' version seems to be more compatible with some
>DOS programs. I am not sure what the actual differences are between the two
>except that 'command' includes some additional environment variables for
>DOS
>compatibility. Perhaps others on the list may have researched the
>differences more. As Mark said, there is no actual DOS in XP (or any other
>version of NT).

>-----Mark wrote-----------
>There is no DOS in NT4, Windows 2000, or XP. You can bring up a command
>line
>window in XP, just like you can bring up a DOS window in Windows 98. Look
>in
>control panel, administrative tools. When you launch the command line
>window, it looks the DOS window in Windows 98, but it is in fact, a true 32
>bit command line, and  much more powerful. The XP command window, has as
>much in common with a DOS window, as my Toyota Truck does with a F16!  You
>can do anything from the command window, if you know the right command.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml