Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2007 15:57:04 +0000
From: "Tom R." <[log in to unmask]>
> This is my first time attempting to build a computer of my own, and no one I
> know can help with my questions.

Answers to your questions

1) Size of case is normal home size.
Even though the Intel DUO puts out less heat than AMD dual, you'll want a heatsink. For your intended purpose, a fanned type would be recommended. Heat is the number 1 killer of electronic circuits; most states require you to have insurance to to operate a motor vehicle, your insurance on the CPU, a heatsink.

No experience with a slim drive here, specs I've seen say yes, but I wonder about the faceplate.

2) All wiring should be included for a basic set up with m/b and psu. The manual should be well written as to what cable goes where.

3) If you're looking to play the newest games, and as to questions number 4 and 5, this going to ask you for more money. Vista brings the world DirectX 10, and to be able to utilize it in all its glory, you're going to need to start with nVidia 86xx series. Don't ask me anything ATI related, they have left me with a bad taste after my experience with them.

You'll need two of the same cards, if you're going to use the SLI feature. You can't mix and match on this part, same chipset and same memory. Different builder vendors is allowed, but it is best to get two of the same cards.
Unfortunately, these cards are energy pigs, and 1000W or better is the only to keep your whole system happy. Make sure the PSU is rated for SLI. These cards not only draw their power from the PCIe bus, but now some require two power connection jacks. Some of these configurations can easily tax 600W+.

To keep you on a budget mindset, buy the best SLI enabled PSU now. Get the 76xx card, and save $$$. Six months from now, the 90xx series will be out, and 8xxx will be cheaper. The SLI bridge should be included with m/b, so hang on to that.

Happy building Tom,
Tim

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com