Date:
Sat, 24 Sep 2005 09:49:50 -0700
Here's probably a dumb question, but is the connection speed the same as the
speed you see in the window when the download is happening?  I see it as
'kbps' when I'm downloading, (in the little window), but you're talking
about just 'k'.  The other day when I was trying to download O.O., it
started out at about 25 kbps, but within a few minutes was down to 4.92
kbps, which is less than when I had dialup.  (I have 256k DSL now.)  I gave
up the download, because it was going to take over 4 hours at 4.92 kbps.  I
tried it later that night and managed to download it in a little over an
hour at a range between 18-22 kbps, fairly consistent.  So, I guess it has
something to do with phone line usuage/time of day.  But, is 22 kbps slow
for 256k DSL?  Am I talking about apples and oranges here with the 'k' vs.
'kbps'?
Carol Hanson

>  A larger MTU size reduces some overhead, but increases the impact of line
> noise.  If you're consistently getting 44K connection speeds, this may
> help
> you.  [Those of you on broadband or LAN connections are almost certainly
> already at the maximum; this only applies to dial-up.]

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads