From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 20:38:39 -0700
Here is your definitive answer. Modern controllers have no problem
differentiating between devices in the same channel. Putting a slower
optical device on the slave channel of a Ultra 100 device makes no
difference in the individual performance curve of either device.

However, if you were to copy from say your hard drive, to your burner, then
you would be better off putting the hard drive, and the burner on separate
channels, of the same controller, so that that data could be read, and
written simultaneously.

Hope this settles it for you.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://www.freepctech.com/rode/

At 11:46 AM 6/3/2005, you wrote:
>Is there a definitive answer to whether it makes a significant
>difference whether a hard drive and a CD are installed on the same IDE
>chanel?
>This keeps coming up and some it makes no difference and some say the
>slower device will slow down the faster one.
>Let's say we're talking a bout a modern, fast system

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com