From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2009 16:18:24 -0800
I do not know if Phil has answered you directly, but there have been no
intended) somewhat unique. If you need to post again, please give some
more particulars such as make and model of computer, operating system,
and ID and date of audio driver (from control panel / system  / device
manager).

When the sound stops, check to make sure it is not muted for some reason.

In control panel / system / device manager, does the audio device have
any yellow exclamation points and does the device indicate that it is
operating properly even though there is no sound?

Is there more than one instance of the audio driver on the hard disk
drive? If so, there could be a conflict when the driver is loading. You
should identify the proper location for the audio driver and, if more
than one instance of the file, temporarily rename the file(s) in the
other location(s).

The driver file could be located in a bad sector on the hard disk drive
and is becoming corrupted. This condition is unlikely if there are no
other problems being encountered. You can "clean" and defragment the
hard disk drive using programs / accessories / system tools. This should
identify any bad sectors on the hard disk drive and, other than the time
it takes, should help performance if nothing else.

I hope this helps. Others may have more suggestions for you.

Tom

Vanessa H. wrote:
> Phil,
>
> I have a PC that loses sound often.  I re-install the drivers and it
> works again.  I end up having to do this at least once a month. What
> could possibly be the reason it continually loses sound?
>
> Kind regards,
> Vanessa

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads