Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 06:41:58 -0500
Hello to all

I have an old 486 Leading Edge computer sitting here with the second dead
battery in a month.  It is probably my fault, but I thought I would check
this out.

The original battery died on or about April 26th.  I could not find evidence
of CIH on this machine primarily as I could not get to the entire HDD
[another post about this later when I get the machine back again].  In any
event, the first problem was that the battery was dead.  I purchased a new
battery that plugs into the motherboard [had to guess where it plugged in as
I could not find any documetation and the owner had none].  It worked fine.
HOWEVER, I did not desolder or clip the old battery from its' mounts.
Should I have?  I believe the cmos battery has failed again, and it may be
because of drain from the old battery sitting in parallel with the new.  Any
thoughts on this??

TIA

Mike Buraczewski

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: