From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 11:35:02 -0700
On 3 May 99, at 9:52, Edna Sloan wrote:

> I am installing a Soyo slot 1 AT MotherBoard in my old Gateway tower.  When
> reattaching the front panel connectors the Keylock/Power led connector of
> the Gateway has one of the pins in its 5-pin connector solid, and the
> connector on the new board has pins for all, hence it won't fit.  Is there
> some kind of adaptor for this I could use or any ideas?  (I don't need the
> keylock, but don't know which pins go to what, in order to rewire).  Thanks,

  The pin that is filled in on the connector isn't actually used, but the
motherboard manufacturer has provided a pin for it any way.  I can see four
ways to deal with this:

1. (Easy) Do without the keylock and power LED.

2. (Not recommended) Break the connector between the two LED wires and the
three-pin keylock part, and ignore the keylock.  Not designed to be done, but
I've seen some cases where a previous owner managed to do this.

3. (Not recommended) Determine which pin isn't needed, and clip it off down
at the board.  If you get the wrong one, your only remaining option is
probably #1 above.

4. (Recommended, but may or may not be possible) I recently encountered
exactly this issue.  In my case, the "solid" pin was due to a plastic insert
filling the hole in the connector.  I was able to dislodge the insert by
taking a small jeweller's screwdriver (you do have a set of those, don't
you?) and insering it into the back end of the hole, where the wire would be
if there was a wire to that pin.  The only risk then is that you might put
the connector on backwards, but that's easy to fix and no harm done.

David G

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html