From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 13:21:17 -0800
On 21 Oct 98 at 13:48, Carlos Arroyo Junior wrote:

> I think I have a PC Chips motherboard too.
>
> What motherboards are good one (but not expensive) ?

  Abit, Asus, FIC and Shuttle (SpaceWalker) are generally good; Tyan
and Iwill and Gigabyte are not bad, and we've been fairly happy with
high-end boards from AiR and SuperMicro.

  In the los-cost range, I've been pretty happy with EFA's Viking I,
and the Viking II which has replaced it.  Amongst "Super7" boards,
the Viking III is similar in specs to the Shuttle HOT-591P and the
FIC VA503+; of the three, I prefer the latter for best combination of
flexibility and price.
  Which boards you should be looking at depends on your CPU.  If you
want to move your existing CPU, I'd look at the EFA Viking II
($70-90 retail).  If you're interested in a K6-2 or other high-end
Socket 7, I'd look at the FIC VA503+ (about $110 retail).  If your
plans run to PII or Celeron, then the Abit BH6 and the Asus P2B are
good bets.  [No retail price on those; I've used a version of the P2B
that handles two CPUs and has on-board SCSI, for $400 or so, but the
base model is obviously going to be much cheaper.]
  [Gigabyte makes good (and possibly the only!) Slot One
(PII/Celeron) boards that will fit in (most!) AT-style cases.  Most
such boards are ATX only.]

David G

                                  -----