From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 11:29:26 -0400
On Thursday 18 April 2002 12:51 pm, Phyl Smith wrote:
> I bought a new PC computer 18 months ago but kept my existing monitor which
> is now about five years old.  Recently, it has been turning a light yellow
> for awhile, then turning white again -- then repeating this strange
> behavior.  Is it on its deathbed or is there n adjustment I can make to
> keep it white?

Phyl:

This is a hardware problem. It is possible to have your monitor repaired, but
that can be expensive. The only way to find out is to get an estimate from a
repair shop; they usually have a minimum charge for diagnosis. Check the
Yellow Pages for shops specializing in monitor repair, and make some calls.
(I think that this is something that is better done locally as shipping a
monitor to an out-of-town location is expensive.)

If it's just a plain old generic 14 inch monitor, replacement may well be the
best choice. And, given that it's five years old, some other component is
gettng ready to die. Monitor prices have come down dramatically over the past
few years. OTOH, if it's a premium monitor, and the repair costs aren't
outrageous, do it. (I went through this last year -- much newer monitor,
though -- and was very pleased with the whole deal.)

One last note: My son has a monitor that started doing this about two years
ago; in his case, the color stablizes in ten or fifteen minutes. Since he's
even cheaper than I am, he just lives with it.

Regards,
Carroll Grigsby