From:
Jeffrey Ottie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2007 12:18:40 -0400
Original Message -----
From: "olushola" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 12:24 PM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Internet connectivity issues

I recently purchased a Gateway laptop with Vista. I am having
troubling establishing an internet connection, and once established,
maintaining it. I know it's not a problem with my router because I
have no problems with my Mac.

I see that many people who use Vista are having this problem. Do you
think I can eliminate this problem by going to XP? If so, who sells
the least expensive copy of XP?

thanks

Olushola

Hello Oluhola,

As you have already learned, many people and system builders are having problems with Vista ... lots of problems. In fact the bugs and issues are so numerous and urgent that Microsoft has suspended any further work on Windows XP Service Pack 4 in order to devote it OS engineering resources to putting together Service Pack 1 for Vista which will be released before WinXP SP4. Relatedly, in an unprecedented move by a systems manufacturer, Dell has started offering Windows XP again as an option on many of its machines because of Vista issues.

Regarding your specific situation, I believe you have at least four options:

1) Stick it out with Vista and hope Microsoft issues a hotfix sometime soon to address the problem you're experiencing;

2) If you're new Gateway laptop is still within its return period, take it back to the retailer or e-vendor and ask for a full refund. If they need an explanation, tell them what you've told us because, ater all, you have a right to expect the new notebook PC to network reliably right out of the box;

3) If you wish or must keep the laptop, then contact both the vendor and manufacturer and request/demand in a firm but polite way that they send you a full copy of Windows XP Professional SP2 with COA license because your notebook is basically useless running under Vista. I have experience with Dell in this regard and when faced with a machine's return or sending you a different Windows OS disk to recitfy the complaint, they'll gladly send you a full copy of the OS at no cost, shipping included. Keep in mind that Gateway already knows these machines are having problems with Vista;

4) Finally, if you absolutely must purchase your own copy of Windows XP Home/Professional, you can buy it a steep discount when compared to suggested retail prices if you buy an academic version from e-vendors such as Academic Superstore http://www.academicsuperstore.com/ or if you purcase an OEM version as a system's integrator. In the first case, you or perhaps a family member must meet the 'academic' eligibility requirements; and in the second case you may buy a sealed (key word here is sealed) OEM version when delivered with a piece of hardware or if you qualify as a system integrator. Believe-it-or-now, I just read an article about this earlier today and you likely would qualify.

See this WindowsSecrets.com article:

MS site encourages OEM sales to individuals
May 24, 2007
http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070524

Save money using OEM software
For those lacking academic qualifications, Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) discounts offer a tempting alternative.
Apr. 26, 2007
http://www.windowssecrets.com/comp/070426#story1

I hope this information helps. FWIW, I'd install XP Professional on the notebook now and hang on to your copy of Vista, waiting until Vista SP2 is released before giving a new opportunity to redeem  itself.

Please let us know how things work out.

Kind Regards,
Jeffrey Ottie

eom