From:
Don Weckler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 22:46:30 -0400
Date:    Sun, 27 Aug 2000 11:18:25 -0400
From:    Gary Kaucher <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: HDD Copy

I have a 2.5 GB HDD currently partitoned into a 2.0 GB C: drive and a 500 MB D: drive. I would like to replace it with a 6.0 GB HDD that I will
remove from a used computer that I just bought. If possible, I would like to somehow transfer the contents of the 2.5 GB HDD to the 6.0 GB HDD so that all files will once again occupy the C: and D: drives. I will be ultimately be removing the 2.5 GB HDD. I don't have any kind of Backup
Device. I was wondering if there might be some procedure that I could use to transfer the files by making the 6.0 GB HDD a slave, transferring the
files, and then making it the master by itself. Thanks.

Gary

Riegelsville, PA, USA
*************************************
TO COPY THAT DRIVE:

In WIN9x - 2000 the easiest, simplest, and cheapest way to copy the contents of one hard drive to a new hard drive is to click the start button, click run, and type the following in the run box: (or add a shortcut to your desktop)

xcopy.exe c:\*.* d:\*.* /R /I /C /H /K /E /Y

That copies all directories and subdirectories; hidden, system, and read-only files (including the registry) from one hard drive to another.  This works great on dual-hard drive systems in which the above command, and a similar command for changed files only, provide all the backup anyone needs.

For the curious, the command to copy changed files is:

xcopy.exe c:\*.* d:\*.* /M /R /I /C /H /K /E /Y

The first time it is used, it will copy all files.  It will then reset the attribute bit, and future use will only copy changed files.

PLEASE NOTE:
1: This will not copy certian files while running Win 2000
2: This works best if ran from a Win9x MS-DOS window.
3: This will NOT work from full MS-DOS mode.

 Too stressed to be blessed?
 The shortest distance between a problem and a solution
  is the distance between your knees and the floor.
 The one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.
  *** Be Blessed ***
  Don Weckler Pflugerville Texas <º)))><

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>