From:
Gary W South <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 13:12:49 EDT
I have a friend who owns a Compaq running Windows 98, 64 MB RAM with an AMD
K-2 processor (I don't know what speed). His original modem is a Rockwell HCF
56K PCI modem. It only connected at 26,400 so I gave him a Best Data 56K Mack
II PCI modem. He installed it and now neither modem will work. When trying to
connect to his ISP an error message comes up "Error 630: the computer is not
receiving a response from the modem. Check that the modem is plugged in and
turned on." We have uninstalled each modem several times and reinstalled
each. We have tried them in both PCI slots. Device manager says the device is
installed and working properly with no conflicts but we continually get this
Error 630 message. We tried dialing a number using Hyperterminal and get the
same message. The Best Data modem worked in two other computers. Are we
missing something simple or does anyone have any ideas of something to try?
TIA.

Gary South