From:
Eric Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 20:16:28 -0400
Hi all,

I purchased a cheap Logitech Quick Cam Express this past week and have
pretty much worn myself out trying to get it to work right.  It is designed
for USB operation and this is the first USB device I am trying with my
computer.  I am running Windows 98 SE, but also tried different partitions
including Windows 95b with USB patch and plain old Windows 98 (non-SE).

Here is what happens:  The Logitech instructions say to install their
software FIRST before connecting the device to the USB port.  I tried that
and then connected the camera.  It was detected properly by my PC and the
drivers were installed correctly (apparently).  It installs a TWAIN driver
also.  I tried the Logitech software and the camera works for about 5
seconds and then locks up the software and eventually (after about a minute
or two) my entire system.  If I start a TWAIN program (i.e., Paint Shop
Pro) the camera will work for about a minute and then lock the TWAIN
driver...then lock my system after a few minutes.  Cold booting is the only
way to revive.  Norton Crashguard is useless against it.

I have tried several different installations, each time carefully deleting
the left behind garbage in the registry with the same results each time.

I am thinking I have a hardware conflict somewhere, but Device Manager
shows the USB port all by its lonesome on IRQ 4 on ALL of the setups I have
done.

The only thing I have left is that it might be a problem with my
motherboard and chipset.  I am running an AMD K6-2 400 on an FIC 503+ MB
with 128MB 8ns PC100 RAM.  The board has the VIA MVP4 chipset which is a
bit flaky at times.

I used the camera on my PC at work without a problem.

Has anyone managed to get a SUB device to run on an FIC 503+ board?  Anyone
have any other ideas.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to get as much information as
possible out here.

TIA

Eric

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: