From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 14:09:33 -0800
On 31 Jan 99, at 14:36, Ira Wallin wrote:

> If I want to use the PC to dial out and hold speaking conversations with
> others, do I need:
>         (a) an external modem only...or can I speak and hear via an
>         internal modem? (b)  do I just need any modem that says
>         "voice"...or is there something else
> it would say?
>         (c)  do I need special software or is that included with any
> modem...including ones that would come with, say, a Dell?

  You don't need anything special -- except:

  Practically all modems offer two RJ-11 phone jacks, often labelled
"PHONE" and "LINE".  The idea is that you plug your phone into the jack
labelled "PHONE" (duh...) and connect the "LINE" jack to the wall with
a stadard modular cable.  You can still use the phone normally, but
it's "daisy-chained" through the modem.
  My 3Com modem is smarter than many, and when it picks up the phone
line to dial, it turns off the "PHONE" jack, so that I don't absent-
mindedly pick up the phone to call my parents and interrupt that 32MB
download I was in the middle of.  Unfortunately, this interferes with
use of the modem as a dialer, which is what you want.

  The solution is to get an RJ-11 "Y" adapter -- about $1.95 -- to put
into the "LINE" jack; plug your phone into one side and the wall
connection into the other.  Now when you modem dials a phone number,
you can lift the receiver and join the conversation.  [Dial-up modems
wait silently for a tone from the answering modem.  Yours will give up
after a minute or so, and hang up ITS connection to the line.]

  The old Windows "cardfile" could dial using a modem, and this feature
remains available in various freeware, shareware, and inexpensive
utilities -- and in many PIMs, which also provide an interface to your
lists of contacts and their phone numbers.  Experiment with a couple of
freeware packages to become familiar with their features, and then
determine if it makes sense to invest in a commercial solution.

David G

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>