From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:19:38 -0600
At 07:55 PM 7/24/2003, Angela Z Espinoza wrote:
>I haven been having many problems with Windows me and honestly I don't remember having
>problems with Windows 98, can anybody tell me if I might be able to purchase  Windows 98
>SE I have tried ins several occasions to set up Internet explorer 6 but I download, but
>when I go to set up I get an error saying set up was not complete turn off your computer
>and try again, Help

Since your PC currently has 160mgs of ram, either Windows Millennium or
Windows98SE will run fine, remembering that Windows98 has a ram limitation
that was fixed in WindowsME.

There are several vendors still offering Windows98SE and a good list can be
found at the following URL:
http://www.pricewatch.com/1/182/1316-1.htm

However, you might try checking your primary VXD setup in WindowsME before
changing out your operating system.

VMM32.VxD FIX INSTALLING THE VxDs
The specific VxDs are in the *.CAB files on the Windows installation CD,
or on the hard disk for Win Me.

The seven systems VxD drivers are:

configmg.vxd: configuration manager for the motherboard
ntkern.vxd: kernel driver used for the universal host controller
vcomm.vxd: communications driver
vdd.vxd: video drive device
vdmad.vxd: DMA controller driver
vflatd.vxd: video flat-frame buffer virtual device
vmouse.vxd: mouse driver

WIN ME: Look in Win_20.cab and Win_19.cab

1. Pop in your installation CD (and Exit the Setup, if necessary)
2. Open Windows Explorer and highlight the CD drive (left pane).
3. Next right-click (right pane) the correct *.cab and select View
4. Now highlight and right-click the *.vxd file you want. Select Extract
Extract to C:\Windows\System\VMM32 and Windows\System
5. Close Windows normally, and Reboot
6. Check that the new VxDs are being used (the brackets have
gone in Device Manager)

You must be ABSOLUTELY SURE the file(s) you use are an EXACT
match for the VERSION of Windows installed on your computer.
Failure to do so will likely damage your system, and you may
have to reinstall Windows.

If the fix does not appear to work, it should not have any affect at all.
You can then, optionally, leave the file(s) in C:\Windows\System
and C:\Windows\System\VMM32 or delete those file(s).

For other versions of Windows you will find the VXD files as follows:

WIN98: Look in Win98_47.cab and Win98_48.cab
WIN98 SE: Look in Win98_53 and Win98_54, or Win98_50 and Win98_51

    Bob Wright
The NoSpin Group, Inc
http://freepctech.com - http://nospin.org

.