From:
Oscar Viñas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 15:25:48 -0400
If you have Windows 98 (an OS with ACPI) you should be able to control the
power management settings via the Power Management icon in the Windows
control Panel. ACPI support is installed on Windows 98 computers if an
ACPI-compliant BIOS is present when Windows 98  is first installed. If an
ACPI-compliant BIOS is installed after the Windows 98 installation, it will
be ignored. Fortunately, Windows 98 still supports APM as well. There is a
FAQ for ACPI on the Microsoft Web site.

In the other hand, most BIOSes that support APM include an option to
enable/disable it under the Power Management option. APM is supported by
both Windows 95 and 98.

APM requires support from both hardware and software to function. However,
the operating system doesn't address the power management capabilities of
the hardware directly. The OS runs an APM driver that communicates with the
various applications and software functions that trigger power management
activities. The APM driver and the BIOS communicate directly, while the
system's APM-capable hardware devices all communicate with the system BIOS,
completing the link between the OS and the hardware. Thus, for APM to
function, there must be support for the standard built into the system's
individual hardware devices, the system BIOS, and the OS with its driver.
With APM you can make power management settings in the BIOS setup as well as
the operating system that can overlap or have conflicting settings.

ACPI is a new standard supported by newer system BIOS software running
Windows 98 and later OS. If both, BIOS and OS supports ACPI, full power
management control can be done by the OS, rather than by the BIOS.

(And excuse me my late answers, I can only send/receive messages using a
modem and a very busy line, so it is usually done after two or three
days...)

Oscar Viņas
University of Camaguey. Cuba.