From:
John Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 23:06:03 -0500
Dear list members,

I recently acquired an older Packard Bell P90 which had the HD out of it - the
price was right  - it was free.  I have upgraded it to 40 Meg and installed a
spare Maxtor 340 HD that I had.  It all runs fine.  The PB has the following
specs:
Pentium 90
PCI architecture
PCI/ISA Riser Card
AMI system BIOS
Cirrus Logic CL-GD5434 Video

I am currently running Win 95a on my 486 which has the following specs:
Intel 486 DX2-66 - ACER ACROS system
ISA architecture
VESA local bus
Cirrus Logic CL-GD5428 Video
Modem, CD-ROM, Sound Card, Iomega tape drive, etc.

My question has to do with moving everything over to the P90.  I have a new
Western Digital 3.2G that I don't want to go through the trouble of
reinstalling everything.  Just did that a few months ago.  The Maxtor 340 I
will use as a second HD and plan to install Linux on it.

Should I delete devices in Device Manager before the final shut down on the 486;
install the WD HD in the P90;  and let windows detect the new hardware.  My 486
is rock solid at this point and I don't want to get the registry all goofed up
by doing this.  But I want to take advantage of the proformance jump with the
P90  and 40 MEGs of RAM.  [I know its not a PII 400 with 100MegHz bus but its
the best I got!]

Thank you for your help

Sincerely, John

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**