From:
Jerome Deyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:41:42 -0500
Yes, support for an OEM install of Windows rests with the builder. But
today, most operating system problems are solved by hitting the MS knowledge
base or other tech support boards (like this one). I can't remember the last
time I had to resort to a call to MS to resolve a problem (wait, let me
quick knock on wood! :)).

As far as charges for support go, most builders offer a warrantee period on
a new machine. I only charge the third time I have to explain how to drag
the task bar back to the bottom of the screen. :)

I am finding that people are getting sick of ineffective "free" support, and
are more than happy to pay a reasonable charge for help. I had a client a
couple of weeks ago:
Brand new, name brand PC. Would not connect to the dialup connection. Spent
most of two days on the phone with tech support (both ISP and manufacturer),
which included doing a "system recovery", twice. Finally the maker told her
to box it up and send it to them for replacement. She called me wondering
about a loaner machine because she was a college student, and really needed
to get online to submit work. I stopped by, sat down, turned on the modem
speaker, and hit connect, only to hear the "this number is not in service"
recording. Turns out she had transposed two digits when she entered the
dialup number. I charged her $20, but the free support cost her much, much
more.

For info on the SM Bus Controller driver, go here:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Q_20966120.html . You need to
scroll down on the page a ways to see the solution.
Jerome