From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2000 08:04:55 -0700
Be careful when checking power supplies. The switching power supply, which
is what all modern computers use, requires some load on the output to work
properly. If you unplug the supply from the motherboard, you would need to
add a resistive load to the 5 volt supply line - say a 1 ohm 25 watt
resistor. I don't know what the minimum required load is - possibly a
smaller load would be satisfactory. If the supply is run unloaded, it is
possible to damage it.

Peter Shkabara, P.E.
Computer Science Instructor
Columbia College - Sonora, CA