From:
Steven Walley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 12:44:20 -0700
Kevin,

If the Packard Bell  computer is working well when
you give it to them, it shouldn't be a problem.
Some PB computers break, some don't.

If they are on a tight budget, fixing an older computer
CAN be inexpensive (depending on what breaks) because
people give away (or at least sell cheaply) those older
parts  that are of no use to them.

Steve

----         Kevin Neal <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I guess my problem follows on from the recent PacBell/NEC discussion.
>
> The old Packard Bell P133 clunker I'm using to write this has run 24/7
> ever since it was a bargain buy at the time of 200MMX? introduction.
> Apart from a new fan, it hasn't stopped.
>
> I'm in the process of building a new system to better suit my needs,
> and
> I would like to give this one to the refugee family next door so that
> their children have some chance of being computer literate at an early
> age.
>
> 2/  My other worry is hardware related. I don't want to give them a
> lemon. What has worked well for me, may not in another situation. I'm
> aware that Packard Bell has been described at times as Packard Hell.
> Never mind, -  my concern is that if any single part fails, - then
> the
> whole system is shot.
> 'It's not worth trying to fix'  is my first thought.
>
> I guess my real question is ........is it worthwhile?
> Or is there an organisation dedicated to re-cycling old computers who
> can refer to?
>
> Comments and suggestions gratefully received,
>
> Kevin.

To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com