From:
Stacie Lorenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 16:29:44 -0800
> This is good advice, but I thought I would present another point of view.
> All of my animals (2 cats, 2 dogs, and I had 3 foster kittens) were
> started on full BARF (Bones And Raw Foods) the minute they got to my
> house.  No problems at all, except for a little diarrhea in an already
> sick pup (from the shelter).  We do raw eggs with no problems (I eat them
> too!).  Salmonella can only cause a problem if the immune system isn't
> handling it.  It isn't the microbe that makes us sick, but our immune
> system (if it isn't working properly).

Personally speaking, this is the way I would tend to do it too. However,
I learned to be very cautious about how I suggested folks go about
switching their companions over. I worked in a holistically oriented pet
supply store and we had so many people who came across some difficulty
or other and went right back to the commercial foods as a result. Many
times an animal would show a reaction to the change of foods (diarrhea,
etc.), the person would take them in to their vet., and the vet would
tell them how dangerous the symptoms were and scare them into feeding
processed foods. In order to avoid transition symptoms and the
(possible) dangers involved I always recommend the slow way of switching
to whole, raw foods.
Personally, when I have switched my guys over, I do it quickly but am
sensitive to symptoms and slow it down if needed, but I know what I'm
looking at and I have holistic vets who can give their opinions and be
trusted.

Great points! Thanks Tiffani!

Stacie