From:
jlpresto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 23:39:14 +0900
Justin,

All I can tell you is that there is no organic meat in Japan, but people eat
it raw anyways--mostly seafoods, of course, but also beef, chicken and
horse.  I am less concerned probably with the bacterial growth and so on, as
long as it is properly handled I think it is fine.  There are special
chickens free range and such, but still not organic--raised to 6 mos, but
still smaller than the 2 mos. in the US!

Tonight I ate at a restaurant that specializes in beef, and had very tasty
raw beef from cows that graze in pastures with apple trees   The meat was
exquisite.  If you don't feel totally safe buying raw stuff from the
supermarket ( I would here, depending on the product) maybe you can find a
good butcher in your town to consult with about specialty meats like the
apple cows?

Hope this is some help,
Judith