From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 09:15:34 EST
In a message dated 11/29/02 7:35:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> But a high blood cholesterol *is* a *strong marker* for heart and artery
> >diseases.
>
> OK. Let's assume then that this is true, and move on to the rest of
> this rather intriguing post :)

What are we considering a "dangerously high" level for total cholesterol?
If you read about the history of how the American Heart Association kept
lowering what was considered "normal" total level of cholesteral without any
solid scientific basis, 300 to 350 total cholesteral was once considered
normal.  However, since repeatedly lowering the "normal" range, there has
been no decrease in heart disease.  Anchell's book, "The Steak Lover's Diet"
gives a fascinating history of the American Heart Associations actions their
almost religious support of the "prudent diet" (low fat, high carb).  Anchell
remembers when he and virtually all physicians received information packets
pushing the "prudent diet".