From:
Jennifer Robins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 13:00:30 -0800
I hammer a nail through each eye and then twist the
nail while it is in the coconut to make holes
sufficiently large enough to drain the milk. Once the
milk is drained I cook the coconut for approx 20 min
at around 350. Cooking the coconut will make it easier
to separate the shell from the meat once the coconut
is opened. I just use a hammer to open the coconut and
don't usually have problems with flying shards. After
the coconut has been opened, I slip a butter knife
between the meat and shell and twist it. This lifts
the meat up and I only have to do it a few times until
all the meat is removed. While removing, you'll notice
there is a brown casing around the meat. I just leave
it on because I can't taste a difference, but if you
want to remove, you can do so using a grater.