From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 12:07:11 -0500
On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 09:51:39 -0400, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>What evolutionary foods are highest in LNA?

Dark green leafy vegetables in low volumes, wild game in high volumes.

Highest in LNA are the low fat foods, like dark green leafy vegetables.
As long as you would eat no other fat you would get a high LNA *ratio*.
Because of the d5d-competition w-3 to w-6 that would cause a right
eicosanoid balance I guess.
I think that would be the original kind of fat supply.

We had a ratio list on the list - you have seen it - at
http://www.juggernaut.com.au/food/omega3ratio.html

Then, if you consider bigger fat sources, you come to
wild game and nuts / seeds.
And look, the first game meet (horse) is 18:2 linoleic 0.380 g and
lna 0.470 g.
The ratio is > 1 while up to 1:4 is considered evolutionary by
Siminopulous, Sears and I think I read it from Cordaine too.

With nuts and seeds, the real high fat foods, some are exceptionally high in
LA and low in LNA. Like hazel/filberts for example.
Mesolithic europeans ate tons of hazel - you still can find the shells.
But these could not rely on the hazel as kind of agriculture.
I'm shure hazel would be a good neolithic food. In yields per ha, durable,
storable, good micro- and macro-nutrients.
But they couldn't spread more than other h/g societies.
The limitation was the availability of the wild game, and it's LNA I think.
Likewise the very first neolithics built gigantic V-shaped gazelle-killing
buildings. The cereals lack LNA, so they needed LNA from the game.

In this context, if you see the discovery of a plant with surprisingly big
amounts of LNA, you could call flax (and poppy too) the enabler of cereal
agriculture.
A little flax (maybe 5 or 10%) could equal out the w-6 fat of the cereals.

If you consider a right EFA ratio as an important health factor and
therefore evolutionary advantage.
Early agriculturists solved the problem with flax and poppy
(common from linearband to bronce to celtic to roman times and ever up to
recently).
Todays meat agriculturists go into the same trap again
- worsened by the high OA and SFA due to the quickly fed up animals.

regards

Amadeus