From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 22:21:31 -0500
Amadeus:
>I think the most unpaleo property of modern meat is
>the EFA-deficit of it's fat. This is described on page
>225 of your book "Fats that kill...".

EFA needs are easily covered from other foods or through
supplementation.  So that is a poor reason not
to eat meat.

>Of the other unappetizing topics like hormones
>antibiotics and germs of mass deseases I don't
>even start to speak.

Meat products without hormones and antibiotics
are easy to come by - especially in Europe.
So no excuse here.

>It's just impossible to produce such meat
>mountains without mass fedder - which is
>not only unappetizing but changes the fat
>of the animals.

Mass scale paleo quality meat will never be
produced on a mass scale.  But a lot
of improvements can be made especially
with a growing demand.  So, be a good consumer
advocate and eat your organic meats.

> Most plants, seeds, roots, tubers, nuts have
>a protein to energy ratio so that you get >
> 100 percent RDA protein if you ate 2500 kcal
>(fruit is lower). So that means you could live
> from most plants only,

Could yes, but thrive no - especially not in the longterm.
Besides, as you well know, the RDA levels are in dispute.

>and from lean wild game you can eat up to 50% of
>the diet.  If you assume that gatherhunting people
>exploited every available food resource, then they
>would have added game up to this extent, as available.

Assuming fat intake was a low as you are speculating....
Rachel's last post in this thread made some excellent
points in this regard.

>Or more probable, if they had enough to eat, they will
>have eaten the best parts of the animal. And that's not
>the steaks but the organs.

Granted, most of us do not eat enough organ meats.
But regardless, the highest quality plant food can never
make up for the poorest quality animal food.  So,
deprive yourself no longer - eat your meats.

Peter