From:
"Laurie Brooke Adams (Mother Mastiff)"
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 01:38:43 -0400
>So it's almost frost time in the Mile High City, but I have tons of green
>tomatoes.  Is there a way to ripen them off the vine?  Any green tomato
>ideas beyond "fried green 'maters"?

Hi Dori,

Gardeners I know suggest that you wrap clean, dry green maters in
clean
paper and put them in a cool dark place (not as cool as the fridge,
though),
and take out a few at a time to ripen on a windowsill.

Haven't tried it, but know folks who have.  They chose varieties that
are
reputed to last well (that is, have more flesh and less seed and
liquid,
like paste tomatoes and some of the heritage varieties) and say they
ate the
last of them around Christmas. (This is in North Carolina, the
flatlands,
not the mountains).

If you try it, please let us know how it works.  I suggest you check
them
once or twice a week in case they decide to accelerate their ripening,
yikes
what a mess if they did!

-- laurie brooke adams (Mother Mastiff)  mastiffs at mindspring
dot-com