From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 21:08:45 -0500
On Sat, 18 Nov 2000, Wally Ballou wrote:

> Have you considered the possibility that 15-20% BF may be the proper
> level for a healthy, adult male, or more particularly, the proper level
> for you?

Yes, I have considered it.  My reasons for wanting less BF are
more about vanity than health.

> Sure, some men naturally live with much lower levels, even with
> non-paleo, high-carb diets, and that's come to be the image of "health"
> in our society.  Most medical authorities (even low-fat/low-cal,
> high-carb types) try to warn normal women NOT to try to emulate the
> unhealthy stick figure look that passes for "fashionable,"
> but I've heard little in the way of similar warnings toward males.

It depends, I guess, on what levels of body fat one regards as
unhealthy.  I actually have no way of knowing whether my BF level
is healthy for me.

> It seems to me that the difficulties you describe would be perfectly
> reasonable if your body was fighting to maintain a healthy composition.

I have, a few times in my life, had lower BF.  I didn't notice
any health problems, but maybe I didn't stay at that weight long
enough.

Actually, though, I wonder how many male paleodieters on this
list believe they have BF less than 15%..?

Todd Moody