From:
Jens Wilkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 19:08:01 -0700
Actually, I shouldn't have stated so categorically
that beriberi has been eliminated in Japan and China.
I found an article that included the following:

Thiamine deficiency was quite common in Asia at the
turn of the century2 mainly as a result of refining
staple foods, in particular rice. In recent years, the
appearance of widespread thiamine deficiency has been
reported in Japan3, Gambia4 and Southern Africa5,7.
While thiamine deficiency appears to be associated
with high alcohol intake in Southern Africa and in
developed countries8, this was not the case in Gambia
or Japan where intake of refined carbohydrate was
suggested to be the major factor.

3. Kawai C, Wakabayashi A, Matsumura T, Yui Y.
Reappearance of beriberi heart disease in Japan. Am J
Med: 1980; 69: 383-386.