From:
Elaine Hoffman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 2010 09:27:57 -0800
http://www.novelguide.com/a/discover/eoa_01/eoa_01_00070.html  not the actual studies but an analysis of them

a thesis on the subject  http://dissertations.ub.rug.nl/FILES/faculties/medicine/2002/k.m.koorengevel/c1.pdf

http://www.chronobiology.ch/chronobiology.data/Dokumente/PDF/PDF_Publications/2007_02.pdf   Anna Wirz_Justice, PhD, Centre for Chronobiology Psychiatric University Clinics Basel, SWITZERLAND

http://www.websciences.org/sleepandhealth/duffy.html  on the effects/observations of changes due to aging...

Found several references to studies where the participants where kept underground and/or controlled environments.  I distinctly remember reading about a woman who spent several months underground in one such study who suddenly went from a "normal" 24 hour CR pattern to one that she doubled her sleep/waking times automatically.  I vaguely remember that this study they didn't artifically turn on the lights and such but only when she woke up.  And she had no idea that she'd switched to this elongated pattern -- to her she was sleeping the same amount of time as before.

Elaine