Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 23:11:49 -0500
Caryl Wattman wrote:

> In a message dated 12/10/1998 1:04:03 AM, you wrote:
>
> <<What I wanted to say in this message was that
> studies on vegetarianism are often sponsored by various groups with a
> bias towards it and the desire to show it as a preferred way of eating.
> Such a study would almost invariably show this to be the case.>>
>
> I think this whole thread has been fascinating.  In one way or another, almost
> everyone has cast doubt on the findings.  I, too, had the graduate school
> experience of learning how flawed most studies are, but, still, it seems
> closed-minded of us to be sure that we paleo meat-eaters are right.  Have the
> Beef and Pork Councils done studies that show eating meat is good?  Who has
> studied this besides Ray Audette and people interested in the Shackleton
> expedition and Atkins and his ilk?
Didn't mean to imply that flawed studies don't exist on both sides of the
fence. There does seem to be more reason for flawed veggie studies, though -
besides kellogs's and 'supermarket to the world' people (commercial direct
interests) you also have ethical veggie people, and the part of the medical
establishment that seems hell bent on propagating erroneous advice to keep
people chronically not in best health. (No, I am not really a conspiracy
theorist, honest :)
As for pro-meat studies there are probably more studies relating to
similar diets (low carb, gluten free, etc.) than there are paleo diets.

Ilya