Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 17:55:07 -0400
From: "tsayonah" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: June 18, 2002 4:14 PM
Subject: Another paleo newbie :)

> Greetings, Paleopeople!
>
> Just wanted to introduce myself.  I am female, age 54,
> married, no children.  I go by the name "tsayonah" (say
> "chai-yo-nah") which is Cherokee for ThreeBears and is my
> given tribal name.  Here is a list of my diagnoses BEFORE
> paleo: type II diabetes, major depression, bi-polar
> disorder, obesity, multiple allergies, sun-induced rash
> forming small blisters, osteo (scan read at -2.85 ie the
> bones of an 80 year old) and I've lost 4 inches in height,
> spinal disc degeneration, asthma, premature atrial heart
> contractions, chronic gastric ulcerations, severe diarrhea,
> severe fluid retention (as much as 20 pounds at times with
> ankles that hung in scallops), chronic fatigue,
> fibromyalgia, rheumatoid or other (there's an argument)
> arthritis....
> My health insurance is up to $2000 (yep - THREE zeroes) a
> quarter.  I was taking over $400 of pills per month, many of
> them to counteract the side effects of the other pills etc
> ad naseum.  Of course I was depressed as it seemed my useful
> active life was over.  I have a handicap permit for my car
> and usually walked with a cane and rode the "golf carts"
> whenever possible when shopping.
>
> Around the first of this year a doctor friend asked out of
> the blue, "Have you ever been tested for celiac?"  I hadn't
> and started researching.  Discovered most of my symptomology
> was immune system related.  My weight was not because I was
> secretly cheating, which was what docs had been telling me
> since my first diet pills at age 7.  Nor were the teeth that
> rotted no matter what I did.  What a relief!!  My diabetes
> was often unresponsive to insulin injections.  One morning I
> found it off the scale (over 550 when normal is 80-120) and
> took 50 units, a whopping does, without effect.  By accident
> I discovered I could lower my blood sugar with
> antihistamines (docs continue to deny this altho I have
> documented it).  I decided rather than continue to be either
> bankrupted or killed by the allopaths, I would quietly
> experiment.  I stopped the useless allergy shots and got
> some allersodes.  I stopped ALL the other meds.  I began
> shaping my diet toward what I knew had been eaten by my
> Cherokee ancestors.  Surprise, I got better by leaving out
> the wheat and rice and white potatoes. That was this Feb.
> About three weeks ago I discovered paleo eating.  The
> Cherokee were farmers, growing corn, beans and squash.  I
> dropped those and the dairy.  All my symptoms are gone and I
> am off all medications.  I still do the allersodes and some
> homeopathic remedy.  I have energy again!  I have dropped
> 30+ pounds in about 4 months after being plateaued at 220
> for years no matter how strict a diet I followed.  I eat
> what and when I want without measuring as long as it meets
> the stone or sharp stick criteria <G>  If I cheat or make a
> mistake, I get most of my symptoms back for several days,
> [...]

I enjoyed reading your post Elisi.  I'm also glad to know we can still have avocadoes on this diet. I love them.  I haven't got the book yet but I am going to hit the bookstores tommorow in search of it.  I can't wait to start and hope to read more of your posts in the future. Yours is truly interesting and inspiring.
Jaime