From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 22:14:34 -0500
On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Richard Geller wrote:

> > I don't have any comparison figures.  About one percent of the
> > adult population have actual food allergies.
>
> I'm not sure about this as it depends upon the definition of food allergy.
> I'm talking about more than just ige reactions.

I was in fact using the term in just that restricted sense.

> I'm talking about long term
> problems that may be associated with foods, specifically auto immune
> disorders and even atherosclerosis, as more evidence comes in that these are
> tied to immune reactions, chronic inflammation etc.

Sure, but studies of peanut consumption have generally showed
positive effects on health.

> there is something else about peanuts that I don't see with roasted almonds
> or almond butter. I go to a restaurant that has free unlimited peanuts and
> the people I am with put them away like crazy. Totally anecdotal but
> nevertheless something I observe.

I know what you mean, but I think you'd see the same thing if you
put out a tray of roasted, salted "fancy" mixed nuts.  If you
really want to see a disappearing act that would make David
Copperfield envious, open a jar of macadamias.

> Agreed! I feel bad about tomatoes but evidence piles up that they are bad
> for me, so I am adding this to the list of foods I can't eat :-(  Just an
> example (lots of people apparently have trouble with tomatoes though.)

I avoid them because they cause problems for *me*.  But I eat
grapefruit, even though it causes migraines in some people -- but
not me.

Anyway, there are lots of good reasons to avoid foods, regardless
of whether they are paleo.  My point is that there is no reason
to reject peanuts as nonpaleo unless one rejects all New World
foods for the same reason.

Todd Moody