Date:
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 11:16:48 -0500
Brian Paquet wrote:
> Are you sugesting that staying in ketosis is better for health in the
> long run. Myself, I would be inclined to think eating enough carbs to
> keep yourself out of ketosis but not much more would be best.
I don't think this has been researched one way or another. In nature
we can find examples of both doing quite well (Inuit probably in ketosis
much of the year, other hunter-gatherers probably rarely in it). Also
remember that ketones are a normal part of burning fat. It's just they
never build up to an appreciable level in the presence of carbs.

> As I understand it, being in ketosis means you need much more calories to
> maintain weight, which offends my Walfordian Calory restriction tendicies.
Haven't seen this personally to a large extent. What is true is that
in ketosis you need a lot more to GAIN body fat. Also, if the reason you
were to need more calories in ketosis is that some of the food simply
does not get burned completely and gets excreted from your body then you
are not really consuming more calories (just as you are not when you
are eating fiber, which is a carb, but you can't digest it and it simply
passes out of your system). The parallel is not exact, but you see my point.

Ilya